Modern Foreign Languages – curriculum information
Wheeler Primary School believes that the learning of a foreign language provides a valuable social and cultural experience for our pupils. Learning another language enables the children to develop their communication and literacy skills alongside raising their awareness of our multi-lingual and multi-cultural world. At Wheeler Primary School we are learning Spanish and the sessions are delivered in both KS1 and KS2.
The aims of learning a MFL
The National Curriculum for languages aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources.
- Speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say.
- Can write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt.
- Discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
By the end of each Key Stage, pupils are expected to know, apply and understand skills which are specified in the National Curriculum.
The delivery of Spanish within the school will be very practical, giving the children a vast range of opportunities to explore and develop their communication skills.
Within their lessons, children will be taught to:
* Listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding.
* Explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes.
* Engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others.
* Speak in sentences using familiar vocabulary.
The children will also be involved in reading and writing activities but the main focus will be developing their speaking ability in Spanish.
I think the best thing about being a Wheeler pupil is that all of the staff listen and care about you
Everyone cares for each other and that every teacher adds a little bit of fun into every lesson
The staff are really encouraging. They always help us to be the best we can be
The best thing is having someone to go to when you’re upset
Being at Wheeler is like being part of a family and that makes learning fun
The teachers are so supportive they help and guide you all the way through the year
Throughout my time at Wheeler, I have been given so many opportunities to experience and learn new things